edit root alias when installing the OS

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jan 6 03:15:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 14:11 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Fedora move to a no root login system,
> like OSX and (apparently) Ubuntu have. Eliminate the root password
> entirely.

I can't speak for Ubuntu - but OS X has a root account.

sudo su -

and you are root.

It weakens OS X because by default, every admin password is essentially
a root password.

OS X gives too much to the admin accounts - why do you think repairing
permissions is such a common thing on OS X?

In the early days it was *really* bad - as one could from a local
account do nidump passwd . and then run it through jtr to crack weak
admin passwords (and thus root the box). At least now they finally have
some sort of shadow implemented to prevent that.