Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Thu Jan 19 13:47:19 UTC 2006

Michael Favia wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> When a give Fedora Core release enters "maintenance
>> mode", Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance Project, will take over
>> maintenance of the release for Security issues.
>
> EOL is pretty "de facto" imo but perhaps "community maintenance mode"
> is a better descriptor because it is always only in "maintenance mode"
> after initial release as far as I understand.

I don't think that's true.  FC4 saw a lot of non-security related
updates (NetworkManager and kernels immediately jump to mind).  My
understanding is that when a release moves to legacy, it's basically
just security fixes.

To echo Axel's comment in another thread, I think that once all the
kinks are worked out, the key factor for users in the move to legacy
status is the change from "active" maintenance to security-only
maintenance.  If that's the point that marketing and documentation focus
on, I think we'll gradually move away from the mindset that "legacy
means Red Hat doesn't help anymore."

DC