Proposal - don't install .rpmnew unless changed

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 19:56:32 UTC 2006

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 11:36 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>>
>> Recently happened to me with tetex
>> The texmf.cnf changed - but I had already manually made the change.
>> A diff between my texmf.cmf and the .rpmnew showed no differences.
>>
>> Does it go off of the time stamp?
>
> It goes off the mtime.

My proposal is to check if the contents are different (use cmp?) and not
pester the sysadmin if there is no change.

I believe this is a simple change and doesn't depend on multiarch, or
anything else.  Simple rule.  If the rpm would install a config file, and
iff the config file exists and is different than the one being installed,
then create .rpmnew and tell human.