RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Thu Jan 19 23:30:18 UTC 2006

Quoting "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters mac com>:

> It's been less than a year since FC3 was the CURRENT version.
> Let's not make a strawman out of the issue.

I was being difficult on purpose, because you have chosen to ignore a
very important part of my original post in this thread. Here it is
again:

"Fedora is what it is - a fast moving distro for people that want
relatively new software on their machines. Folks that don't want to
change for a long time can run other distros, including free binary
RHEL rebuilds."

Let's not turn Fedora into something that it isn't supposed to be. The
direction and purpose is quite clear. The alternatives, many of them
completely free, are also quite clear.

There are many, many new technologies that Fedora delivers to the
masses and that is mostly the result of hard work of paid-for Red Hat
developers and to some extent the community. If we stretch RH folks
over even more distros (ATM, they have all supported RHEL flavors and
Fedora to do), they will get less done. And if we want FOSS to be a
serious player, things need to move at breakneck speed that proprietary
software vendors (which we aren't going to name here :-) can't follow.

If we want to see new and exciting stuff in a mainline distro like
Fedora, we all need to learn to let go of the older releases quickly.
That's exactly why (IMHO) Red Hat abandoned Red Hat Linux, where the
patching tail grew bigger and bigger with each new release. This is
unsustainable in an environment where no revenue exists to fund such
patching.

At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;-)

--
Bojan