Re: Reporting bugs upstream

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 05:50 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > BTW, I like dups, because users often confuse same symptoms with
> > same bug. I have dozens of people reporting "my kernel said
> > ``ep0 timeout''" for dozens of wildly different problems, all ending
> > in the same bug which can never be resolved. I would much prefer users
> > filing dups than polluting unrelated bugs. But in X, the situation
> > is the opposite: 100 dups for the same thing, and Mike Harris wants
> > his users to search for dups and avoid filing new ones (if I understand
> > him right).
> Not exactly...   For X, we experience both problems.  We get many people
> reporting the exact same issue without them even bothering to check for
> duplicates,

Put yourself into the role of a user, then you'd notice that

* duplicate search in RH's bugzilla often is close to being impossible
[I usually search for duplicates, before reporting, nevertheless I still
end up filing duplicates, because the duplicate search had failed.]

* Users are filing "bugs by symptoms", because the often don't know the
cause. Therefore you will always find duplicates, because users often
have no possibility to identify bugs as duplicates.