FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:42:10 UTC 2006

man, 23 01 2006 kl. 17:59 +1300, skrev David Woodhouse:

> Going off at a tangent....what would people think of the idea of
> switching to -Os in $RPM_OPT_FLAGS _after_ FC5 is released?

I haven't quite gotten used to RPM'ism, but I assume you mean compiling
all packages with -Os for the FC6 cycle.

I would be all in favor of that, -Os seems to do slightly better
performancewise on general setups and the size benefit would be a nice
bonus. We'd need proper metrics on this to evaluted the pros and cons
though, for my money my Athlon-XP 1600+ seems to benefit from it.

I also noticed that Federico Mena-Quintero did a few meassurement for
his talk on performance optimizing GNOME on this flag compared to stock
flags in many distros with beneficial results.

Mind you this kind of optimization is still no match for removing code
bottlenecks but every little bit helps and as far as I can tell most
applications readily compile without any ill effects using this setting.

My uninformed laymans opinion would be that it sounds like a win at
least on size, even if the performance isn't that much better.

- David

--
Obligatory shameless blog plug - The GNOME commentary located at
www.lovesunix.net/blog