FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Jan 23 18:57:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 19:31 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> man, 23 01 2006 kl. 18:59 +0100, skrev Ralf Corsepius:
>
> > I guess you have benchmarking code to prove this claim to upstream? ;)
>
> Well you're in luck some already did, I found this research paper a
> while back - I took the liberty of putting it on my website hopefully
> I'm not in violation of anything by doing so.
>
> www.lovesunix.net/spaceoptimization.pdf
>
> I hope that provides a bit of usable data, at least we could use the
> methodology to repeated the test for the FC6 cycle.

Interesting read.  The big unanswered question seems to be: how does
this affect the performance of a running application?  Does mozilla take
longer or shorter amounts of time to run once the application loads?  Do
smaller apps benefit less from the optimizations than larger ones?

Could dogtail be used to give predictable "user input" to GUI
applications or is the speed variable there as well?

-Toshio