libtrash in fedora Core 5

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 24 18:55:06 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Hell,you might be able to go as far as to make the desktop trash and
> the cli trash command agree on where to store the trash and blur the
> line between cli and desktop even more.. but is it really appopriate
> to blur that line? I'm not convinced its in the best interest of
> anyone to make the cli child-safe.  If the cli is a chainsaw, that
> needs to be used with care... making it easier to get to and start
> that chainsaw.. probably isn't the best way to make it safe, no matter
> how many safety feature you add. We need to provide other tools, safer
> tools, so users don't reach for that chainsaw everytime they need to
> get a task accomplished. At some point you have to rely on users
> respecting the dangers of the chainsaw and knowing when its
> appropriate to use the chainsaw and how to use it safely.

    Actually,  it would be quite nice to be able to manipulate the
desktop trash via the CLI...  Good for writing scripts.

    As for alternative filesystems,  ext3 and ext2 are the only
filesystems I'd run on a machine where I cared about file integrity.
Reiser,  XFS and JFS have file integrity issues AS DESIGNED -- integrity
issues that have caused problems in production systems that I run.

    Undelete is possible on ext2,  but ext3 shreds directory entries for
deleted files as a mechanism that (get this) protects fs integrity in a
crash.  You're trading undelete and a bit of performance for no fsck
after a crash:  it can take forever to fsck a 300G volume,  so most
people choose no fsck.