Make hardlinking kernel-devel optional

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jan 31 23:13:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

>  > I't like to request to make the hardlink stage kernel-devel does on every
>  > install optional. It takes a damn lot of time on my not-too-fast machines,
>  > I do not exactly care about the saved disk space, and given the rate of
>  > kernel changes in rawhide there are a lot of wasted CPU cycles there.
>
> only if you have a huge number of kernels installed, which shouldn't be the case.

The only gain for hardlinks *is* when you have a lot of kernels installed. Also,
I don't think yum uninstalls any kernels, so a machine which is updated reguarly
can end up with a lot of kernels. Especially if smp and up kernels are present.

Also, "normal" systems wouldn't need the kernel source. the stuff in /lib/modules
should be enough to compile modules.

But my problem i guess is mostly in that I've had a few incompletele kernel
trees and couldn't compile from them anymore.

The process is terribly slow on older hardware though.

I would happy if the kernel rpms checked for the hardlinks rpm and skipped it
when the rpm isnt installed.

Paul
--

"Happiness is never grand"

	--- Mustapha Mond, World Controller (Brave New World)