DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 5 22:41:25 UTC 2006

     I. Le mercredi 05 juillet 2006 à 18:16 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev
        a écrit :
> On 7/5/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> > > http://www.mricon.com/misc/dejavu-russian.png
> > >
> > > As you can see, some glyphs are rendering poorly, or don't match the others.
> >
> > This is truly horrible. Are you sure your browser uses DejaVu for
> > cyrillic ?
>
> Yes, it's DejaVu.
>
> I'm fairly certain the reason for this is because I have freetype
> rebuilt enabling the proprietary bytecode interpeter for hinting. Some
> cyrillic glyphs have manual hinting information, while others don't.
> Here's a very telling example:
>
> http://www.mricon.com/misc/dejavu-sampler.png
>
> You can see that in regular serif most cyrillic letters have hinting
> support except for "ы" and "э" (they look exactly as the non-hinting
> version). In bold serif, very few letters actually have hinting
> information, which results in the mish-mash.

Thanks for the explanation. In that case I won't open a bug since
- as you point out fedora does not use the bytecode interpeter by
default
- I'm pretty sure this will be taken care of with time. Hinting always
lags a bit behind glyph design, so probably the letters you point where
tweaked in the last release and the dejavu hint master haven't got the
time to re-hint them yet.

But I'll CC this mail to the team just in case

--
Nicolas Mailhot