DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 6 08:57:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 09:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > A new font family is being proposed as the Fedora Core default. It
> > probably impacts your language. Please tell us what you think about it:
>
> Tried it on 1280x800 LCD, in general looks good and clear, with
> greyscale and subpixel(BGR) hinting, struggled to notice any extra
> benefit from hinting above "slight" setting.
>
> One thing which looked *MUCH* worse was using DejaVu Serif within
> firefox, text was spiderish, and kerning was uneven, letters ran
> directly into each other
>
> http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/firefox-dejavu.png
>
> So I just set the default proprtional font to DejaVu Sans in firefox.
>
> I'd still choose to install DejaVu fonts, presumable Vera wouldn't be
> removed by this?

DejaVu includes all the glyphs from Vera, so technically Vera is not
used.

Just to make sure, could you please run Firefox with the instructions
your get from the about: page?
That is, on a Terminal window, type

$ export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
$ firefox

and check to see how about: looks like now.

Simos