OOo documents look different

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jul 10 08:57:22 UTC 2006

Le Lun 10 juillet 2006 10:32, Caolan McNamara a écrit :
> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 05:32 -0400, Benjy Grogan wrote:
>> It's been this way for me since probably FC3 and still in FC5.
>> Certain .doc files that fit perfectly on one page in Windows XP, will
>> spread over into two pages on FC.  I think it has to do with fonts,
>> but not sure.
>
> There are a number of possible reasons, but indeed the most likely is
> simply that you don't have the font that the original document was
> written with.

Indeed, there are many reasons why fit-to-page will never work across
office suites and systems. Unless the OO.o people implement a "fit on X
page" control which transparently scales text (as WordPerfect had I
think).

Much more resilient and user-friendly than manually tweaking something
till it fits on X pages only to discover it doesn't on the neighbour's
computer. (and all the modern font substitution systems mean you don't
know anything about the metrics of the fonts you use, so doing sizing
manually is going to be more and more difficult)

You've forgotten the "page designed for Letter, used with A4" problem in
your list. BTW

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot