OOo documents look different

Mon Jul 10 23:38:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 17:37 -0400, John Thacker wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:53:52PM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > Well it ended here because it did happen on FC5 and rawhide but not on
> > Windows. So it seemed that OOo worked correctly and FC changed something
> > that made it not work correctly on FC.
>
> Can you please describe what "it" is?  Does the file:
>
> 1) Take up the same number of pages in both Windows and FC5, but is
> different in Rawhide?
> 2) Take up the same number of pages in Windows and Rawhide, but change
> between FC5 and Rawhide?
> 3) Or something else?

OK maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but attached is a Gimp
image with two layers. (OK attachment was to big and the mail bounced;
picture can be found at  http://www.erwinrol.com/ooo.xcf) By changing
the alpha channel of the "FC Rawhide" layer you can fade the XP
rendering and the FC rendering. I whited out things like prices,
bankaccounts and client name/address. This shows how the font height has
changed a lot. The older FC3, FC4,FC5 and rawhide systems all rendered
the page like XP is still doing.These pictures are screenshots from a
1600x1200 display, OOo displayed the document at 75% zoom. As you can
see the width is almost pixel perfect.

> Hypothetically, if OOo in FC5 rendered differently than on Windows, would
> you consider it a bug or a problem if it were changed for FC6 to render
> closer (even identical) to Windows but this made it different from FC5
> and earlier?

I see a WYSIWYG word processor like a painting program. When I create a
painting with gimp, I expect it to look the same when I open it with
photoshop. Of course there might be tiny difference like photoshop might
use another JPG decoder and so maybe some pixels have a bit of a
difference. If i would not want this i should use another picture
format. The same with word processors, there might be some tiny
differences in how the font is rendered, but not like now that one page
fits about 5 lines less (that are than move to the next page).

Now earlier FC5 and Windows look almost the same, but newer FC5 and
Rawhide look very different from Windows and earlier FC5.

- Erwin