rawhide report: 20060720 changes

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 08:09:23 UTC 2006

> > > It looks like dbus is broken, so the gnome desktop of my machine is
> > > pretty much unusable. Thsi machine i am working on now also has the same
> > > updates but i haven't restarted this machine yet, and will not do so
> > > until i can use my other machine again.
> > >
> > > Is anybody else seeing major problems with dbus ? Also i can't use kde
> > > because it starts flooding the screen with endless segfault dialog
> > > boxes, they come about every second. And they also seem to be dbus
> > > related. After starting some stuff manual from a failsafe session i
> > > could do some things but lot of programs segfault (like xchat) or
> > > complain they can't connect to dbus.
> > >

> > subscribe to fedora-test list and watch the conversations there.
>
> Hmm OK i found the convo in the archives.
>
> This massive breakage makes me wonder what the development process is of
> rawhide. Do developers build code first and than send it to the rawhide
> buildsystem or is the rawhide buildsystem the only one what builds code.
> For example;
>
> 1) Modify code
> 2) compile everything needed
> 3) test
> 4) upload to build system
> 5) buildsystem compiles everything
> 6) buildsystem puts everything online
>
> or
>
> 1) modify code
> 2) upload to build system
> 3) buildsystem compiles everything
> 4) buildsystem puts everything online
> 5) test
>
> In the first case it should be possible to prevent breakage like the
> dbus one at the moment, since it breaks about every system right away.

It rawhide..... if you want stability use FC5. Oh, and it won't break
every system, just the ones that are using the machine as a desktop.
I'm sure all the server side just is just fine and/or dandy. This is
why I normally leave my updates on rawhide until the following
morning... that way I can normally hear the cries of pain and know
which way to step :-)

Peter