Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jul 26 20:47:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Benjy Grogan wrote:

> On 7/26/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 13:30, Denis Leroy wrote:
>> > This goes beyond binary-only drivers. What if you were using FC-5 as a
>> > major development platform for your own Xorg-based application (or
>> > gnome, or kde), then an FC-5 update breaks your code in a major way...
>>
>> And you really shouldn't be using a Fedora release as a Major Development
>> Platform.  That's not what Fedora is designed and meant to be.  That's a
>> far
>> better job for RHEL where you've got promised ABI/API stability, a very
>> long
>> lifespan, and a lot of effort to ensure things don't change with the
>> updates.
>> Fedora is a more free flowing tool for evaluating technology, where things
>> can and do churn, change, and sometimes break.
>
> [updates-testing] would be the perfect place to first release the
> X.Org 7.1 updates for FC5 and it might even get a few more people to
> help test things there.  What exactly will happen to a user who has
> nvidia or ATI drivers installed on FC5?  Will X.Org revert to the open
> source drivers or simply crash?

I cannot speak to the ATI drivers.  (I don't use it.)

The nVIDIA drivers do not crash under X 7.1.

What they do is kinda weird.  Text in buttons and some images do not
update correctly until you mouse over them.  It makes it very hard to read
and use.  (I know. I tried with FC6t1.)

I really want to use x 7.1.  I want alglx support.

Until there is better support from at least one of the "big two" for it,
it is a bad idea to add it to FC5. (FC6 is another story. It started with
it and it should be there.)

--
"I want to live just long enough to see them cut off Darl's head and
  stick it on a pike as a reminder to the next ten generations that some