Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Jul 27 04:26:22 UTC 2006

tor, 27 07 2006 kl. 00:04 -0400, skrev Gerald Henriksen:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:37:22 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday 26 July 2006 13:30, Denis Leroy wrote:
> >> This goes beyond binary-only drivers. What if you were using FC-5 as a
> >> major development platform for your own Xorg-based application (or
> >> gnome, or kde), then an FC-5 update breaks your code in a major way...
> >
> >And you really shouldn't be using a Fedora release as a Major Development
> >Platform.  That's not what Fedora is designed and meant to be.  That's a far
> >better job for RHEL where you've got promised ABI/API stability, a very long
> >lifespan, and a lot of effort to ensure things don't change with the updates.
> >Fedora is a more free flowing tool for evaluating technology, where things
> >can and do churn, change, and sometimes break.
>
> So does this mean objective number 4 should be removed from the
> Objectives of the Fedora Project page?
>
> "Provide a robust development platform for building software,
> particularly open source software."
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html

Not at all, Fedora is excellent for developing OSI compliant licensed
software as stated by objective 4. I assume what Jesse meant was that if
you plan of building an application where you can't take advantage of
the community to provide updates to follow technology, say you are
developing a proprietary piece of software it might be nice for you to
use RHEL instead as that is ensured to stay completely API/ABI stable
for 7 years as well as being supported by some of the finest people in
technology today for a whole 7 years.

Many things in Fedora have their own ABI/API stability requirements
though, if you are working on GNOME or KDE you should be able to carry
it across Fedora releases with very little if any effort due those
projects goals and requirements.

- David Nielsen