Maintainer for nvidia-crap in lvn wanted (Re: Pull off AIGLX repoistory?)

Jeremy Sanders jss at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 11:56:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Arjan (or dwmw2 (or anyone interested in this topic)), if you read this:
> Feel free to send a detailed and public warning in reply to this mail
> why these drivers are bad, illegal and why one should not touch them.
> For those interested in some details look at
> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html
> http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1.pdf (pages 19
> up to 26)

What I don't understand is why Nvidia feel the need to use a 8MB (!!!!)
kernel module in the first place. Is there a reason why it needs to be
there, and not in X.org like all the other graphics drivers? They could
supply a non free driver legally then (not that I'd like them to supply a
non free driver). They could shift any necessary kernel bits into a GPL
kernel module.

I suppose it is so that they can use the same driver as everywhere else on
linux...?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.