libsysfs disappearing

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Jul 27 17:14:18 UTC 2006

tor, 27 07 2006 kl. 18:40 +0200, skrev Hans de Goede:

> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm currently involved in a discussion on the lm_sensors mailinglist and
> >> there someone is claiming that libsysfs will disappear from most
> >> distro's in the near future. He claims that the main reason for libsysfs
> >> disappearing from most distros is because udev no longer uses it.
> >>
> >> Since I'm planning on doing some development work on libsensors and
> >> libsensors use libsysfs, I would like to know what the future of
> >> libsysfs is for Fedora?
> >
> > As long as apps require it, it will probably stick around in some
> > fashion.
> >

> If I read this correctly you are saying that although it won't be
> removed right away it is indeed deprecated, correct?

If you need it and no replacement is available for you - even if it gets
moved to Extras you'd still be able to rely on it provided someone
(maybe own fine self) maintains it. Given that it's not likely to see
updates it should be a relatively easy task to support.

Regardless you should be just fine using it for now, if it does indeed
need to go away in the future I'm sure a suitable replacement will be
available or some kind of Extras maintainership will be set in place for
developers. Especially if this goes RHEL5 since that means 7 years of
support from Red Hat, they'll need it to stick around as well, dividing
the work between Extras and Red Hat would benefit everyone.

- David Nielsen