Fedora target audience, what about the research area?

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Fri Jul 28 16:58:38 UTC 2006

Laurent Rineau <laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org> writes:

> At the ENS, it is 258 machines, and at the Inria it is 689 machines.

And you tell us they have no central distribution points for updates
and for custom packages, and have no single sysadmin able to, at the
very least, exclude or include whatever is needed for successful
operation of a particular binary driver?

Of course I don't know if they have NVidia-based cards running NVidia
drivers. Chances are they don't play Doom.

I can believe it might be a problem for part of home users (gamers?)
but a research institute is way too much for me.

OTOH, I wonder how many people on this list would have a problem
themselves. Especially if livna/etc. provided "conflicting" driver
package(s).
--
Krzysztof Halasa
(Riva TNT2, Radeon R2xx and R4xx user, and just 3 FC-5 machines)