[Fedora-i18n-list] PROPOSAL: restructure the choice of input methods

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Mon Jun 5 08:57:14 UTC 2006

Just a few comments to clarify my understanding of the proposal.

Akira TAGOH wrote:
> - input methods that has supported the different input method
>   engines for different languages or has such framework,
>   only provides the alternatives name, xinput-default.

Ok, so the main change here is that scim, uim, etc will basically just
need to setup a single alternative rather than one for each
"supported" locale.  I understand xinput-default here to mean the
current symlink "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default ->
/etc/alternatives/xinput-default".

> - single input methods, such as XIM server provides the
>   alternatives name, xinput-ll_CC for only their supported
>   locale. i.e. if one supports ja_JP.* locale, it has to
>   provides xinput-ja_JP.

This is unchanged.

> - $HOME/.xinput.d would be obsoletes. it is maybe
>   overkill. just a file like .xinputrc would be better.

I would like to suggest using "/etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc" for the system
file instead of "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default", since that seems
more consistent and logical IMHO.

> - one xinput script which is usually put under
>   /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/, invokes the proper XIM server
>   for people who still wants to use them.
>   so if one wants to use XIM, symlink it to .xinputrc or
>   changing with alternatives will do that. it is still
>   better than current one since XIM server works on only the
>   exact locale and it will be less trouble.

So basically the current locale selecting code in xinput.sh will move
to this alternative script for xim client setup.  We could also
consider renaming "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/" to say
"/etc/X11/xinit/xim.d/" at the same time: that would avoid confusion
between the old xinput.d system and the new xinputrc system.

> - xinput.sh reads only xinput-default (and .xinputrc for the
>   user-specific thing) and stop to find ll_CC things against
>   current locale. according to the above reasons.

So xinput.sh would first try "~/.xinputrc" and if that doesn't exist
it would read "/etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc".

Jens