gdm and gnome-applets broken?

Émeric Maschino emeric.maschino at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jun 8 08:12:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

With today's updates, gdm can't start and I'm getting a text dialog box
telling me that the X server has been disabled for 5 minutes. No error
message in Xorg.0.log though. Switching to runlevel 3, I can start a
GNOME session from the CLI by invoking startx. This suggested me that
the problem may be due to the updated gdm-2.15.3-5 package. I didn't
find the previous one (gdm-2.15.3-3 that was working correctly for me)
on the different fedora mirrors, so I reinstalled the one shipped with
FC5 and runlevel 5 is working correctly again.

Moreover, when the GNOME desktop is loaded, I'm getting a dialog box
telling me that there's something wrong with the mixer applet and I'm
asked whether I want to remove this applet from the desk or not. These
issues are on an Itanium box. No idea if other architectures are
affected too.

Cheers,

	Émeric