can't install debug rpm with yum.

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 8 12:00:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:12:51 +1000
David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Couldn't this be achieved fairly simply ?
> - yum gets repomd.xml from masterURL (new setting in .repo)
> - cache the master repomd.xml as repomd.xml.master
> - uses that to compare files including (repomd.xml) grabbed from the
> preferred (and next and so on) mirror, until it gets a response and the
> checksum matches.
>
> "another project" sounds like doing something similar to the above would
> be a major undertaking ?

That sounds like it would be a huge improvement to what yum does now.  And
when that fails, why not fall back to download.fedora.redhat.com?

> * it would be nice to be able to query both ftp and http servers for the
> checksum of a file as it exists on their disk - before you (yum)
> downloads it :) As far as I know no such capability exists for either
> service type ? Then you could:
> - give me sha1sum /mirror/fedora/core/update/5/packages/mc-7.8.9.rpm
> - = sopqierpqowierpoqie
> - wrong, move to next mirror before even downloading (especially good
> when mirrors have corrupt or incomplete data). I remember once a bad
> download of 50M occur about 10 times (from different mirrors) until a
> good download was found.

Yes, this is another area where yum falls down.  Whenever anything is
slightly out of kilter yum is more likely to abort than actually
recover and do something useful.

Sean