Does headless X require runlevel 5?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jun 10 18:56:01 UTC 2006

Brett Serkez writes:
> <snip>
> >Runlevel 5 is broken. I'm presuming I need to get it working--but do I
> >need to focus on the local video hardware even though I'm not supporting
> >a local display? It would seem to me that the local video hw would not
> >be relevant to remote gui access--but I don't understand X particularly,
>
> Correct.  X is client-server, so remote users are running their own
> X-server.  When connected via ssh -X, any gui programs will use the
> remote user's display.  There is no need to run an X-server on a
> system unless you plan on using the GUI on the console.
>
> >so I'm confused on what fix to pursue and how.
>
> You can run any UNIX/Linux system 'headless", without a GUI on the console.

Yes, I thought so. Glad for the confirmation.

> Modify /etc/inittab, change the 5 to 3:
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> This will change the default boot run-level for future boots.
>
> As root, you can use the command:
>
> # init 3
>
> to force an immediate switch to run-level three which will bring down
> the GUI on the console.

Yes, got all that. Then I do:

vncserver start
Starting VNC server: no displays configured                [  OK  ]
And then ...

service vncserver status
Xvnc is stopped

This part doesn't seem correct. Is that to do with /etc/X11 and/or
/etc/gdm configuration alone? Or something else?

Thanks again.
Janina