Hibernate with LVM Swap

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Sat Jun 10 21:37:32 UTC 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 03:21pm, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 10 juin 2006 à 14:57 -0600, Lamont R. Peterson a écrit :
> > What if I decide later on that my one swap partition isn't big enough?
> > I'll create a swap file or a swap LV (probably making it a lower swap
> > priority) and use that until I upgrade the hard drive again.  Easy.
>
> Which is why swap-on-lvm wins on the ease-of-use front.

I think you missed the point.  I'm saying *if* you *have* to change swap
frequently, then there is an advantage to having swap on LVM.  But, if you
had read the rest of my message (I don't know either way, but you did take
the quoted paragraph out of context with the next one), then you would have
read me making basically the same point as this:

> Now you may say normal swap is slightly faster - but nowadays if you're
> swapping you've already got performance problems. swap is more a
> security feature than a normal-use-feature with today's memory/disk
> speed of access ratios

Right.  Like I said, if you're hitting swap, performance is going to suck and
at that point, every little bit helps.  If you find that you're always in
swap, then you need to reevaluate the RAM, storage and/or activities on the
machine(s) in question.

A dedicated swap drive is less hassle and better performance than LVM swap,
*if* you *need* that kind of swap performance.

I like the way you phrased it here: "...swap is more a security feature than a
normal-use-feature...", though I might replace the word "security"
with "safety" or "safety net".
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor