Re: Changing the default font in Fedora Core 6

Le lundi 12 juin 2006 à 04:04 +0930, n0dalus a écrit :
> On 6/11/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas mailhot laposte net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As you may (or may not) know the current default Fedora fonts suffer
> > from several problems :
> > 1. their licensing may preclude them from being fixed when a glyph is
> > bad or missing (problems like this are reported every few weeks)
> > 2. sometimes they haven't changed for years (usually in conjonction with
> > 1)
> > 3. they may mack modern Opentype features and be plain ugly on a modern
> > LCD
> >

> What attempts are being made to improve the current fonts upstream?

None that I am aware of (apart from rumors). You can check on
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ Vera was last updated three years ago.

And it's not because its bug-free or complete - you can compare on
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/index.htm the coverage of
Vera with that of its derivatives (DejaVu for example).

This is one reason why changing the default font to one which has an
active (and reactive) upstream you can report problems to is a Good
Thing™

--
Nicolas Mailhot