Changing the default font in Fedora Core 6

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Jun 12 14:39:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 08:49 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 06:49:04AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > > And it's not because its bug-free or complete - you can compare on
> > > http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/index.htm the coverage of
> > > Vera with that of its derivatives (DejaVu for example).
>
> Vera lacks coverage for anything much but English
>
> > Bitstream-vera is essentially unmaintained, deja-vu *is*.  I think it's a
> > no-brainer.  deja-vu is the way to go, +1.
>
> Agreed

There was talk at the LSB about standardizing default fonts in
distributions so web pages and documents look the same across the board
(right now if you take an OO.o document created and SuSE and open it in
Fedora the layout gets screwed).  I picked up from the talks that SuSE
ships a modified version of the bitstream fonts which has better support
for languages other than English.