Changing the default font in Fedora Core 6

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jun 12 14:53:25 UTC 2006

Le Lun 12 juin 2006 16:39, John (J5) Palmieri a écrit :

> There was talk at the LSB about standardizing default fonts in
> distributions so web pages and documents look the same across the board
> (right now if you take an OO.o document created and SuSE and open it in
> Fedora the layout gets screwed).  I picked up from the talks that SuSE
> ships a modified version of the bitstream fonts which has better support
> for languages other than English.

Suse used to ship their own fork of Vera with more glyphs.
DejaVu merged the Suse glyphs (that is, the ones which were better than
the DejaVu ones) a long time ago.

Suse has since replaced its fork with DejaVu (see the changelog of:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/factory/noarch/desktop-data-SuSE-10.1-32.noarch.html)

Unbuntu has DejaVu as default font.

That's two major distros. Other may have done so too, DejaVu is a popular
font in a field where there's little competition. Most of the other FOSS
fonts lack a Sans variant which is a must for a screen font.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot