Unmounting CD/DVD Drives on FC5

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 14:14:15 UTC 2006

As far as I'm concerned if the eject button is depressed the thing
should come out no matter what the consequence (unless explicitly
locked of course).   It's rather embarrassing to be bragging to
friends and coworkers about stability of Linux only to have to reboot
the machine when they ask for their CD-ROM back in a hurry :)

I understand from a thread a while back there are good technical
reasons for the current situation, but from a user's point of view
this sucks.

My  main reasons for a reboot (in order of frequency)
1. Kernel Upgrade
2. Get a CD/DVD out of its drive
3. Power failure

Joe.