My list of Laptop issues

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jun 15 16:31:52 UTC 2006

Here are my list of laptop issues:

- Getting better control of the Synaptics touch pad.  (Turning off the
damn "tap to click" especially.)  There is an app to do this, but I think
it is in extras and it does not always work for me.

- Better instructions on getting the Broadcom chipset driver working.
(Once I found out what I needed, it was easy.  Finding out what I needed
was a bit harder than it should have been.)

- Getting the memory card reader on the HP zv5200z working.  (This is
going to require a firmware hack similar to the braodcom chipset.  It has
firmware that is needed to make it work.)

- Getting suspend/hibernate working on the HP zv5200z.  Currently it goes
to sleep and then just hits the hard drive continually on wake-up.

- Getting more documentation on getting cardbus working on the HP zv5200z
and similar laptops.  (It requires a kernel load option for assigning the
pci bus.)

Everything else works pretty good.  I have been using the 64-bit version
of Fedora on this laptop since FC2.  It works much better now than it did
then.  (I no longer need the modeline hacks in xorg.conf for the 1920x1200
resolution screen, for one thing.)

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis