puplet/pup/yum-updatesd... rethinking the mechanism

David david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 17 06:50:06 UTC 2006

Just a small query regarding yum-update process.  I have a laptop that
is rarely connected to my home network and thus the Internet - I would
guess this machine hits the net about once a fortnight or so.

I have been in the habit of yum-updating when she is on the net and this
invariably produces something like 2,000 file updates.

Within Yum/puplet as it stands is there anyway of   just requesting
critical updates say security patches and being asked to opt in to other
upgrades.

This I suppose would require some indication of what the suggested
upgrade is and any associated dependencies or relationships.  An example
I can think of is there was a kernel upgrade which came through Yum but
the MADWIFI drivers came a few days later which knocked the wireless
network out.  This wasnt so much of an issue as I rolled back to the
preceding Kernel Yum'd again a few days later and all was well but if I
didnt take the new drivers I may well not have figured out what was
going on till some time later.

I hope you guys dont mind these pretty basic questions but I do know
they do have an effect on users that really want things to work without
delving too far under the hood.

Cheers

David