strip in rpmbuild

Sun Jun 25 09:10:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 04:55 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 20:25 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > I finally managed to build a mingw32 cross-compiler rpm, but in the end
> > get get a large number of non-fatal warning in the form of;
> >
> > /usr/bin/strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file
> > `/var/tmp/gcc-mingw32-root/opt/mingw32/i586-pc-mingw32msvc/lib/libmsvcrtd.a(dvmqs00022.o)'
> >
> > The question is, how can i control what files are to be stripped and
> > what "strip" to use ?
>
> The origin for this problem is rpm bogusly trying to manipulate target
> files. The origin is lurking deeply inside of %__os_install_post.
> It invokes brp-strip on files, it should not strip.
>
> I am working around this issue by using customized versions of the
> scripts being invoked in __os_install_post.

Yeah i came also to the conclusion that redhat/fedora rpm is trying to
be a bit to smart. Of course this doesn't mean it can't be fixed, maybe
the rpm system macros could be extended with some flags to say what
should and what should not be stripped.

> > PS: is there someone else interested in a linux->windows cross compiler
> > SRPM ?
>
> I am not sure Fedora should support toolchains endorsing proprietary
> OSes (Though MinGW is free, the OS underneath is not). I.e. from a
> Fedora focused POV all such a cross compiler does is "helping your
> enemy".

This was more a question of "would anybody be interested in getting my
rpms" and not really in "should i try to add them to extras" :-)
The only reason i want mingw to work is so that I finally can compile
Ethereal (uhhh wireshark) for windows all by myself.
I didn't even think about the "political" problems yet :-) Of course if
"helping" Microsoft is a real no-no than Samba should be removed also,
because it makes it possible to use windows workstations with a Linux
server, the correct way would be using NFS and forcing people to use
Linux workstations. The same with wine, you say it helps people run
windows on Linux and so helps Linux, this is wrong, it helps Microsoft
because nobody needs to write Linux programs, and wine always works
worse than the real windows, so users will try Linux+wine get
disappointed and move back to windows (for good). That's why I am an
engineer, because political problems suck and are hard to fix, and when
you fixed them there is surely someone else that thinks it is broken :-)

- Erwin