Recommended laptop for FC5, was: glxgears

Trond Eivind Glomsrød trondeg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 19:19:33 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at fenrus.demon.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 00:57 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> > > glx-utils
> > >
> > > I have stopped using ati due to support issues.  nVIDIA may have closed
> > > source drivers, but they have at least supported everything with them.
> > > (ATI's support with their closed source driver depends on picking the
> > > right card.)
> >
> > So if I was buying a new laptop sometime soonish, what chipset is best
> > for all this new accelerated X stuff?
> >
> > ati seems to not care about Linux, and I've heard bad things about
> > nvidia. I don't do games, so 3D isn't that important.
>
> go intel.. intel video is well supported and open
> (David will now say that it uses the bios to do mode setting and that it
> thus isn't fully open, but i'll ignore him for now :)

My own experience is that  Intel should be avoided -  I have to run
magic little programs setting magic little parameters to get  anything
beyond  plain VESA in low colors.

I bought Intel that time because I thought it was open, but low
performing. Only the latter is true, however, and native ATI/Nvidia
work better out of the box.

3D is missing with the bundled drivers, of course, but if you wanted
3D, you wouldn't go Intel anyway.

My recommendation would be NVidia - best out of the box 2D, and if you
want, the best 3D (closed source)
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Oslo, Norway