2GB swap partition limit?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 12:54:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 13:24 +0100, Émeric Maschino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't notice this earlier. On Feb. 11th, I completely reinstalled Fedora Core
> on my Itanium workstation using the FTP method. All ran flawlessly and, by
> contrast to my first attempt, the anaconda graphical screens were correctly
> displayed.
>
> My workstation has been upgraded to 6GB RAM. I let anaconda automatically manage
> the partitions on the disk. It created a 4GB swap partition in a LVM volume.
> But top, free and gnome-system-monitor all report that my swap space is 2GB
> (more precisely, 1.9GB). IIRC, there was a 2GB limit partition for the swap
> size in the past, but I thought this has been overcame.
>
> Isn't it the case?
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Émeric

Weird,

The "new swap" type (mkswap -v1, default) which came in kernel v2.2 (?)
fixed the 2GB limit on swap space that came with the "old swap" type.
(mkswap -v0).

E.g. (my workstation; FC4/64)
[gilboa at gilboa-home-dev ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      2048624 kB
MemFree:         21516 kB
Buffers:        125596 kB
Cached:        1029680 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:        1397408 kB
Inactive:       301004 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:      2048624 kB
LowFree:         21516 kB
SwapTotal:     4063224 kB
SwapFree:      4062868 kB
Dirty:            1360 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         721168 kB
Slab:           230228 kB
CommitLimit:   5087536 kB
Committed_AS:  1664788 kB
PageTables:      17560 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:     38064 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359696379 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB
[gilboa at gilboa-home-dev ~]$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
/dev/mapper/VolMD-LogSwap               partition       4063224 356
-1