FC more FHS clashes

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Tue Mar 7 16:24:34 UTC 2006

Tomasz Kłoczko napsal(a):
> Dnia 07-03-2006, wto o godzinie 09:37 -0600, Chris Adams napisał(a):
>> I asked the question because the original poster said that programs
>> calling /usr/sbin/sendmail were wrong.  I didn't think that was the
>> intent of the FHS, so I asked the OP to support the claim.
>
> Yes it IS wrong because it is location of installed sendmail binaries.
> FHS says something like "do not use directly /usr/sbin/sendmail binary
> but use sendmail command line compliant binary (or symlink to this
> binary) which must be installed/avalaible in /usr/lib/sendmail".
Please provide an exact FHS quote, I really can't find any language to
that effect, and Jeff has already quoted a footnote with the opposite
requirement.

> If in future sendmail will be changed for handle in diffrent way some
> command line switches recognize by sendmail binary using arg[0] runed
> by /usr/lib/sendmail link/symlink will allow for this program be fully
> *backward compatible*.
First, that would be a very unreliable way to detect the execution path.
Second, sendmail breaking sendmail is just not likely, and can always be
handled by pointing the alternatives symlink Fedora has at
/usr/sbin/sendmail to a wrapper script.

> Sorry but do not try be so silly and try disscuss correctnes or not of
> FHS on this list. Please move your doubts to FHS discussion list.
> But first finish read with understaniding this specyfication.
Most posters in this thread seem to agree /usr/sbin/sendmail is the
correct place, thus it is your task to provide convincing arguments, if
not patches, if you want to change the Fedora behavior.
	Mirek