Wild and crazy times for the development tree

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 21 12:06:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 05:19:49 +0100
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > > What do you guys do when you want decent 3D performance?
>
> Use the proprietary drivers ... :-)

There are few cases where resorting to proprietary drivers is required.
There are open source drivers that provide good-enough 3d for the needs
of many Linux users.

> You are ignoring the fact, Linux has a strong user base in people with a
> scientific/engineering/technical background ...

Engineers may have needs which can't be met by open source 3d drivers
today.   Not sure who you're grouping into the scientific and technical
categories though, i have a technical background and my needs are met
perfectly well by open source 3d drivers.

> Whether you like it or not ... reality is different.

You should speak for yourself instead of imagining you have
a better grasp of reality than everyone else :oP

> People are pragmatically using what they have/can get/are supplied with,
> and will ditch the distro or even the OS if it doesn't suite to their
> demands. Fortunately for Fedora, the proprietary drivers have worked
> sufficiently well.

Many people have been misinformed on this matter by others who are fixated
on the latest-and-greatest graphics speed.  Personally I think it's time for
a more rational discussion about the capabilities and performance levels
actually needed by most people.

Anyone who values the flexibility and power offered by open source solutions
would do well to consider closely whether their 3d graphics needs honestly
require the use of proprietary drivers.

Cheers,
Sean