Alsa patch for nvidia onboard sound

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 21:36:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:57 -0500, Sadda Teh wrote:
> Might anyone be willing to apply the patch mentioned here:
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1895 (You have
> to click the Guest Login link to view)
>
> I, and probably many others have a motherboard affected by this bug.
> It would be much appreciated if the fix would make it into FC5.
> Thanks!

Unless patches are crashers, they likely won't make it into FC5 without
being in the upstream kernel.  Work with the ALSA project to make sure
that patch gets into the upstream kernel ASAP, and it will show up in
Fedora quite soon after that.

Part of this is for quality reasons; if the patch makes it into the
kernel, then it's likely it's good enough.  It's also for API reasons
and maintainability.  The less different Fedora kernels are from
upstream "vanilla" kernels, the less work it is to update Fedora kernels
every time a new upstream kernel is released.

Dan