Bootsplash?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 15:44:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 12:30 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Now that FC5 has hibernate working for lots of people, how about we do
> something about the delay which currently is displayed as a black
> screen?

Agreed that this isn't really ideal as it currently stands.

> I click the hibernate button, and am presented with the black screen for
> about 30 seconds as my ram is swapped out to disk. At resume, I'm
> presented with a black screen until the desktop re-appears.
>
> I think ubuntu use bootsplash [http://www.bootsplash.org/] but I think
> that requires a patch to the kernel away from vanilla, so that might not
> be an option for fedora. Maybe rhgb could be used instead?

With the swsusp code currently in the kernel, there isn't really a way
to do any sort of useful userspace stuff.  Also, rhgb has the downside
of being X based which tends to hit "interesting" corner cases and bugs.
All the options here kind of suck :-/

> Has any work been done, or ideas discussed on this for fedora? Thanks.

Nothing of any substance.  But this is a good way to start the
discussion :-)

Jeremy