Unable to mount cd & dvd after upgrading to FC5

Igor Jagec igorm5 at vip.hr
Thu Mar 23 09:57:55 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

<cut>

I solved the problem, I guess. Here's what I've done: I've installed
hal-gnome package, turned on hal service on runlevel 5, commended out
some fstab lines and rebooted machine. Well, gnome-mount crashes often,
and I got some growfs error message after I successfully burned
multisession DVD (?), which was ok thoe, but at least I can say that it
works for now. After these unpleasent experiences, I can't say I'm gonna
recommend upgrading from FC4 to FC5 instead of clean install.

And here's my fstab, so you can see what lines I commented out, and what
lines I took from my test system and manually added:

[ijagec at munja ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/1            /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot1        /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
#none                /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
#none                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home         /home                   xfs     defaults        1 2
#none                /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
#none                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
#LABEL=SWAP-hda5     swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

devpts              /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs               /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs               /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda5           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

> On 3/22/06, Igor Jagec <igorm5 at vip.hr> wrote:
>> I even tried to run hal deamon manually, to play
>> with gnome-mount and so on, but all of that didn't help. I tried to 'rpm
>> -V hal', but I got no output. Is there any way to solve that problem
>> manually? To make hal to detect my hdc and hdd devices? Any help would
>> be highly appreciated.
> 1) if you tried to run it manually... does that mean it wasn't running already?

Most likely it wasn't.

> 2)is the dbus stuff running correctly?  /sbin/service messagebus status

[root at munja ~]# /sbin/service messagebus status
dbus-daemon (pid 4147 1558) se izvršava...

Which means it runs properly. BTW I tried to get english output with
'export LANG=en_EN.ISO8859-1', and it didn't help for that command, and
for some it did (?). Never mind.

> 3) does the outout of lshal  show your hdc and hdd devices?

[root at munja ~]# lshal|grep hdc
  block.device = '/dev/hdc'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/hdc'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/hdc'  (string)
[root at munja ~]# lshal|grep hdd
  storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvdr = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvd = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvdr = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvd = false  (bool)
  block.device = '/dev/hdd'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/hdd'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/hdd'  (string)
  block.device = '/dev/hdd'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/hdd/fakevolume'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/hdd/fakevolume'  (string)

> there should be a block of output starting with  udi = something
> and ending with linux.sysfs_path = something
> for both the hdc and hdd device

That above is an output after I solved the problem. Since gnome-mount
crashes often, I'm not quite sure I solved the problem completely, but
at least it works now.

> 4) I'm still not sure what you attempted exactly, so its pretty
> difficult to provide any feedback.

I didn't know how to provide you more information, but I hope that above
will help a bit. I saw on the redhat's news group that I'm not the only
one who experienced that problem.

--
Igor Jagec