Anaconda: good work!

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 17:00:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 15:40 -0800, David Kewley wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 09:38, Dimi Paun wrote:
> > From: "Jeremy Katz" <katzj at redhat.com>
> > >
> > > This comes up from time to time, I'm just not fully convinced of how
> > > useful it is.
> >
> > Coupled with a better time estimate, it would be useful, no doubt.
> > Also copying the contents of the CDs to the HD before hand would be
> > a very good idea too. But when that's not possible (due to free
> > space constraints), the ticks would be nice :)
>
> A suggestion if this gets considered: dd the CD to a .iso file on disk, and
> mount it loopback.  That way you avoid slow CD seeks.

The cost is that you then have to read every bit off the CD as opposed
to just the ones for the packages you're installing as well as then
needing to seek more on the disk when installing packages (since you're
reading and writing from the same device).  There's also a non-trivial
disk space overhead

Jeremy