Removing dep for httpd from php?

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Fri Mar 24 13:00:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 20:16 +0100, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if removing the dep for httpd inside package php might
> be justified? Seen that in FC4 - and I guess it's in FC5 as well.
>
> When running a server without a webserver installed, you can perfectly
> install/use php anyhow. So why is that dep needed? Is there a chance to
> get it removed on the next release? :-)

I think that it would be do-able if the Apache module part (libphp5.so)
was split off into a separate package - mod_php5 or the like.
Technically, removing the httpd-mmn requirement on the package does
allow you to install it cleanly on a system that doesn't have httpd, but
the package is 'broken' in that the Apache module doesn't work.  I can
see benefit in being able to install PHP without having to pull in
Apache.  It can be useful at times for writing little CLI type apps,
especially in the case where it is for performing
maintenance/administrative type tasks for the webserver and it's easier
to use PHP since you can re-use some of the code/libraries from the web
app itself.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>