GUI controls for instrumentation

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 03:59:40 UTC 2006

For full portability you have many options. Personally I would go the
Java route. With excellent free IDEs like Eclipse you can get very
productive in that environment.

But there are several approaches:

1. Use applets which communicate via socket to server side (could be
in Java or other language)
2. Use stand alone application (in SWT or Swing or ...)
3. Use web based GUI using 'AJAX' like techniques. See
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/index.html for some examples of what is
possible. This approach will probably not work for fast moving  data
eg an oscillascope display.
4. Use SVG: I've seen some excellent demos of SVG in action:
see http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/
5. Use Flash (there are some dynamic flash generation frameworks, but
I know nothing about them).
6. Run the application on the server and use a light weight VNC client.