FC5: first impressions

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 21:50:48 UTC 2006

On 3/26/06, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> This is the crux of the issue: this problem does not have an obvious
> correct solution. A normal approach would be "do no evil". That is,
> there should be a hysteresis against changing well known behavior that
> is tried, tested, and true. Experimental stuff like this should be
> introduced gradually, with default to off, and only when it has been
> proven in the field we may turn it on by default.

This would involve providing configurable options to uses and, as far
as I can tell, it would appear that the primary goal of the Gnome
project is to deny users all forms of choice.

> <offtopic>
> Don't people find it funny that we, as a community, know all about
> incremental improvements when it comes to patch management, but we behave
> like righteous a--holes when it comes to imposing what we believe to be
> the Right Way (TM) onto others? And hey, since we can now invoke the
> Usability Principle, we are in the right to remove any way for the
> luser to opt-out of our One True Way.
>
> But I digress, we are not the target audience...
> </offtopic>

We? Hardly. This crazed position that we shouldn't even provide users
with choices is an illness which is mostly limited to Gnome.

If I may be so bold, I'd suggest you switch to using KDE. KDE is most
refreshing after spending a while stuck with gnome.