prism2_usb wlan does not get initialised in FC5

Richard Kennedy richard at rsk.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 12:34:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

I use the out of kernel driver for the prism2 usb wlan card --
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/ built from source.

It works correctly on FC4 but since upgrading to FC5 it no longer gets
initialised. The driver uses custom hotplug events to run userspace apps
that load the card firmware and configuration, start a scan etc.

But since /sbin/hotplug no longer exists, the card won't start up.
Can anyone suggest the best way to get this card to work with
udev?

Can I get a udev rule to run after the card is completely loaded and the
device node exists, and then start the firmware download?

I've tried a simple udev rule, but the device doesn't seem to be created
so the user space app that downloads the firmware can't find /dev/wlan0
so doesn't work.

rule: ACTION=="add", BUS=="usb", DRIVER="prism2_usb", RUN
+="/etc/wlan/wlan-udev.sh %k"

Can any suggest how to get this to work or what I might need to change
in the driver to work with udev?

Or is there a way to send custom actions from the driver to udev to
replace the hotplug ones?

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA

cheers