Thinkpad, Thinkpad, Thinkpad

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 28 14:54:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:46 +0100, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> Thanks -- the live cd tool could be very useful for testing coming up
> to the next release. Perhaps we can compile a list of volunteers with
> various makes of laptops to run some sort of live cd tests at the
> test2 or test3 phase. I would be glad to to use my Thinkpad T41p for
> testing -- as long as I'm back to a usable computer by pressing the
> reset button.  Is a "fedora-laptop-list" warranted?

Ya. That I think is a good idea. Can you request this against Fedora
infrastructure in http://bugzilla.redhat.com ?

> I had a quick look at Ubuntu 5.04 yesterday evening. There are a few
> things there I think we could use:
>
> 1. They have a hardware test program which can be used to compile a
> report which can be sent back to the development team, along your
> comments on each of the tests.

You can look at the tool and see if it can be ported to Fedora easily.
We can do something similar in the next release if we get it we get the
client side packaged in Fedora Core and have someone handle the server
side in fedoraproject.org

> 2. There is a hardware browser (do we have something like that? I
> can't find it if we do). This would be a *VERY* useful tool.

hal-device-manager (which unfortunately doesnt show up on the menus )
and hwbrowser

Rahul