Fedora's way forward

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Mar 28 18:06:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 12:58 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> So promote them already.  Promote the hell out of them. I'll help;
> in fact, I already have.
>
> But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  If we don't meet what
> people actually want to do with their computers, we'll lose.  And we'll
> *deserve* to lose.

And if we don't take a stand, we lose.  And we'll deserve to lose.  We
can't promote a free solution while at the same time saying "ok, well
here is this if you don't REALLY want to use FOSS".  Users will take the
path of least resistance.  We're trying to make it so that FOSS is that
path, but if !FOSS becomes an easier path, thats where users will go,
and we've lost the battle.  I'm surprised that you of all people don't
see this.