Fedora's way forward

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Mar 28 18:15:56 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  If we don't meet what
> people actually want to do with their computers, we'll lose.  And we'll
> *deserve* to lose.

This thinking is worse than the purist/zealot thinking you were
complaining about, since it has a fuzzy idea of what losing and winning
actually mean, yet it makes the only goal to 'win'.  Even if, say, mp3
and quicktime are compromised into the OS, are you still 'losing' if
some users can't have their HDTV WMV9 and complain loudly about it?
There's no end to it down that path.

 > But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Ain't that exactly what you are doing right now?  Fedora under the
current definition really is pretty good.

-Andy