Fedora's way forward

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:35:58 UTC 2006

This is not indended as a practical solution or idea (the thought
occured to me after a morning espresso fix):

Imagine a small computing device (USB powered memory stick form
factor), containing a processor and memory just powerful enough to
transcode proprietary, patent encumbered media formats into non-patent
encumbered format (note: often transcoding does not require the CPU
resources of a complete decode). The device contains proprietary (but
flashable) firmware with technology licenced from the various rights
holders. From a licencing standpoint it's just like a consumer DVD
player but without all the hardware -- the patent encumbered firmware
is confined to the smallest possible computing space.  </fantasy> :-)
Joe.