Fedora's way forward

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 17:31:58 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason L Tibbitts <tibbs at math.uh.edu> writes:

Jason> As I understand things, Red Hat has someone dedicated to
Jason> gcjwebplugin.

Yes, that's true.  Gary is working on the security audit, starting
with writing test cases and fixing all places in the class library
which require a call into the security manager.  (There are other
tasks after this one...)

Jason> Hopefully gcjwebplugin will be folded into classpath in the near
Jason> future and development will accelerate.

Yeah, that's the plan.  I think Michael Koch wanted one
browser-crashing bug to be fixed before merging it all into Classpath.
gcj imports classpath on a fairly regular basis.  I'd expect the web
plugin code to be in GCC 4.2, though whether it is enabled depends on
the security situation.

Jason> The last estimate I saw for a usable gcjwebplugin was six
Jason> months.

Perhaps a bit of a stretch goal.  This is a very important application
for us, but we're trying to do a lot this year: 1.5 language and
library, improvements in performance and memory use, finish Swing,
etc.

Tom