Fedora's way forward

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Mar 31 12:25:05 UTC 2006

Le Ven 31 mars 2006 09:56, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :

> Sure... go ahead and google for whatever proprietary software you want
> and install what you find.  I really don't see why proprietary media
> formasts should get special treatment of the vast space of proprietary
> software you have the freedom to attempt to install and use. What's
> next? You are going to be asking for fedora to provide as simplified
> solution to find and install proprietary crap that runs under wine?
> There's a hell of alot of freeware junk out there that probably runs
> under wine.

Also what most people seem for forget is closed stuff is hell to package.
It's not designed to be installed sanely. It's designed to work "like
under windows" ie :

1. either it's pre-installed on the system (which Fedora can not do for
obvious reasons)

2. or you have to go through tedious ever-changing download and install
procedures to get it (and it wants to own the system so it will almost
always wonflict with something else)

Even if the software itself is not junk the installation procedures almost
always are. Good luck trying to automate them.

--
Nicolas Mailhot