Fedora's way forward

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Mar 31 14:02:24 UTC 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 8:51 AM, David Zeuthen wrote:
>  - Though it is tempting, please avoid installing proprietary
> software for which we already got an excellent, better or good-
> enough free replacement
>   - e.g. for movies we got Totem, e.g. we don't need mplayer (if
> Totem can't play a specific stream the user should file bugs)
>  - for document viewing we got Evince (if the user needs a11y make
> the Evince authors fix it, don't install adobe reader)
>  - Ditto for Ekiga vs. Skype

OK, so I perfectly know mplayer is open source, sorry about that. I
guess I was trying to say that the solution should never pull in
software that changes the defaults on Fedora like installing a whole
new media player stack (mplayer vs. Totem) or a new communications
stack (Skype vs. Ekiga).

The solution should simple install plug-ins (e.g. codecs) that
extends our default applications. If you do anything more than this I
predict the solution to be less than successful. Isn't it great that
we have frameworks like e.g. gstreamer or Mozilla plug-ins that
actually alow this know?

Hope this clarifies. And good luck with this project - personally I'm
looking forward to having stuff like this for Fedora!

      David